Recipe by California Walnuts
AUBERGINE & WALNUT PARMIGIANO
This dish can be assembled in advance and simply cooked when needed.
- 2 aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 100g broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 50g California Walnuts, finely chopped plus 15 whole walnuts
- 125g pack reduced fat mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 400g passata
- 1 tbsp Parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/Gas Mark 6.
- Brush the aubergine slices with a little oil and griddle or fry for 1-2 minutes each side.
- Add the remaining oil to a large frying pan and fry the pepper, broccoli, tomatoes and chopped walnuts for 4-5 minutes until softened, season well.
- Select the 12 largest aubergine slices and place half a slice of mozzarella in the centre, divide the filling between the slices and roll up, placing them seal side down in a greased ovenproof serving dish.
- Finely chop any remaining aubergine slices and stir into the passata, pour this over the aubergine rolls and scatter over the remaining mozzarella, torn and the whole walnuts.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for 30 minutes until golden and tender.
- Serve with a salad and crusty bread.