Chocolate for breakfast? This recipe sounds and tastes pretty decadent, but is actually a healthy, balanced breakfast. Comforting and wholesome porridge is made chocolatey with a little cocoa and livened with freshly grated ginger, which cuts through the richness and compliments the cocoa. We topped ours with slices of pear and flaked almonds, which work particularly well flavour wise, but you could mix up the toppings.
- 100g oats
- 700ml almond milk, we used ReRooted, or any milk
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar
- 1 thumbnail size piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (start with half & add more to taste if you don’t want it too rich)
- 1 large or 2 small pears, cored & thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted almond flakes
Prep time: 5 min – Cooking time: 5 min
- Combine the oats, almond milk, honey or sugar, ginger and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Bring up to heat, stirring regularly, until it comes to boiling point. Reduce the heat a little and cook for 5 minutes until the oats are soft and most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Divide into 2 bowls and top with the slices of pear and chopped almonds.
Recipe by www.riverford.co.uk