- 1 jar of cocktail onions, rinsed and drained
- 2 large aubergines, cut into 3cm slices
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100ml white wine
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 1 mozzarella ball
- 25g parmesan cheese
- 75g breadcrumbs
- Chopped herbs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/ Gas Mark 4.
- Take a large frying pan, add 1-2 tablespoons of the olive oil and cook the aubergine slices in batches over a high heat. Ensure the aubergines get nicely browned for maximum flavour.
- Transfer the aubergines to a snug oven dish, overlapping the slices
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the frying pan and cook the cocktail onions until they start to brown. Add the sliced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the white wine, tinned tomatoes, dried oregano and season with salt and pepper. Spoon over the aubergines.
- Tear the mozzarella and place over the dish. Then sprinkle over the parmesan and finally scatter over the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is hot and bubbling. Serve with crusty bread.
Ciabatta makes the best breadcrumbs, but any thick crust bread will work well.
Recipe by Opies