- 300g (10.6oz) extra-firm tofu, see notes
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1.5 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt + pepper
- vegetable oil, we use rapeseed oil
For the salad:
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 garlic clove, peeled + chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 little gem lettuce, rinsed + leaves separated
- 150g (5.3oz) cucumber, chopped
- 100g (3.5oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30g (1oz) vegan parmesan, optional
- Slice the tofu into 1cm (0.5”) thick slices and leave to one side.
- Add the plain flour to a mixing bowl with 1/2 cup of water and whisk to create a batter. The batter should resemble an egg-like consistency – add more water or flour if necessary.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and pinches of salt and pepper in a separate large mixing bowl.
- Pick up a slice of tofu and submerge it in the batter. Shake off any excess batter, then coat it in the panko mixture. Repeat one more time in the batter and panko mixture using the same slice of tofu to ‘double bread’ it, then leave to one side. Repeat for the remaining slices of tofu.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a high-sided frying pan so it’s approximately 1cm (0.5”) deep. Get the oil hot over a medium-high heat. You can test if it’s hot enough by dropping a piece of breadcrumb into the oil. If it sizzles straight away, it’s ready to go.
- Fry the tofu in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown. Then transfer the tofu pieces to a piece of kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil and sprinkle salt on top to make them extra crispy.
- For the salad, add the vegan mayonnaise, juice from half of the lemon, Dijon mustard, capers, garlic, olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine, then add the lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and vegan parmesan and give the salad a good mix.
- Add the salad to plates or bowls, then slice the tofu and place it on top. Drizzle any leftover dressing over the top and slice the remaining lemon half into wedges to serve with the salad . Delicious!
Recipe by www.wearesovegan.com