Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 400g macaroni
- 1/2 cualiflower, florets
- 90g unsalted butter
- 90g plain flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 750ml whole milk
- 250ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 500g mixed cheese, reserve 150g for topping
- 50g watercress, finely chopped
- Salt to season
- Butter an ovenproof dish and set aside. Preheat oven 180C.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add ½ tsp salt. Cook the pasta for 4 minutes, add the cauliflower and continue cooking until both are very much al dente.
- Drain and reserve a ladle of cooking water.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan. Add the flour, paprika, mustard powder and white pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes to cook out the flour.
- Mix the milk, cream and brandy in a jug.
- Take the butter mixture off the heat and very gradually whisk in the milk mixture to form a smooth, silky roux. Return the pan to the heat and continue whisking until it bubbles vigorously.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 350g Cheese until melted. Stir in the watercress.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning if needed bearing in mind that the cheese will be salty.
- Tumble the mixture into your prepared dish and sprinkle with the remaining 150g Cheese. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden & bubbling. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Suze Morrison for The Watercress Company.