500g new potatoes, scrubbed and halved if large
3 tbsp oil
6 spring onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150g canned green lentils, drained
200g feta cheese crumbled
50g sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
20g parsley, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp polenta
For the slaw:
150g young kale, stems removed and leaves shredded
1 small carrot, grated
Half a small red onion
10g umami paste
4 burger buns
2 small avocados, peeled, stoned and mashed with 1 tsp lemon juice
2 cooked beetroot, sliced
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the new potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and roughly crush with the back of a spoon.
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a frying pan, add the spring onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir into the potato mixture and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, add the lentils, feta, tomatoes, parsley, oregano and some black pepper. Taste before adding more salt as the feta is salty.
- With wet hands shape the mixture into 4 burgers. Put the polenta on a plate and coat the burgers. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- To make the slaw, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill until required.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan. Cook the burgers for 6-8 minutes until golden on the outside and hot in the middle. Split the burger buns, fill with the beetroot slices, some avocado, a burger each and serve with the slaw.
N.B. You can freeze these burgers at the end of step 3. Layer with grease proof paper and place in a freezer proof box. Defrost before cooking.
Recipe from www.jerseyroyals.co.uk