- 100g self-raising flour
- 70g ground almonds
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 (level) tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 125g pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 (level) tsp baking powder
- 95g glacé cherries, roughly chopped
- 200g vegan dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 245ml soya milk or other plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 1⁄2 tsp almond essence (optional)
1 Pre-heat the oven to 200 ̊C/Gas Mark 4.
2 Line a 20cm square (or roughly equivalent size) tin with baking parchment.
3 Thoroughly combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
4 In a jug, mix the soya milk, vanilla extract and almond essence. Set aside.
5 Melt the coconut oil and chocolate together using a double boiler (a glass or ceramic bowl that fits on a saucepan of simmering water but doesn’t touch the bottom).
6 Pour the melted chocolate and coconut oil along with the soya milk mix into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir thoroughly until well combined.
7 Pour the mixture into the lined tin and then bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Recipe by Viva Vegan Recipe Club