70 grams California Walnuts
100 grams Sliced chestnut brown mushrooms
2 tbsp Olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 Beef tomatoes, diced
1 Red onion chopped
2 Garlic cloves sliced
1 tbsp Nigella seeds
50 grams Dried apricots
1 Lemon zest and juice
4 tbsp Plant based Yogurt
1 tbsp Chilli oil (optional)
2 tbsp Flat leaf parsley
- Soak the California walnuts overnight in warm water.
- Drain well and place in a food processor with the sliced mushrooms.
- Pulse until you have a fine crumble texture.
- Cut the sides off the aubergines so that they sit flat on a baking tray.
- Using a small sharp knife, score a diamond shape into one of the cut sides of the aubergine as this will help speed up the cooking process and get more flavour in.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, before baking in a hot oven 170c for 20 minutes.
- Heat a shallow frying pan and add the garlic and nigella seeds.
- Scatter in the mushroom and California Walnut mince and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the red onion and half the diced tomatoes, followed by the ground cumin.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the apricots and add to the pan.
- Zest the lemon straight into the frying pan with the ingredients and stir together.
- Pour in 150ml of water and simmer for 5 minutes to bring it all together.
- On a plate, spread the yoghurt. Then when the aubergines are cooked, remove from the oven and place on top of the yoghurt, then top with the walnut mince mixture.
- Scatter with the remaining tomatoes and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of parsley.
Recipe by www.californiawalnuts.co.uk