Makes 3-4 burgers per cauliflower, depending on size
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 Whole cauliflower
Marinade, per cauliflower steak:
- 1tbsp tonkatsu sauce (or BBQ sauce)
- 1tsp sesame oil
- Optional: togarashi shichimi or chilli flakes
For the aioli:
- 150g mayo*
- 1tsp wasabi mustard (available from The Wasabi Company)
- 60g watercress, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 2tbsp yuzu juice
- Burger Buns
- Tomato, thickly sliced
- Your favourite cheese slices*
- A handful of watercress
- For the aioli, simply blend all ingredients together and set aside.
- Slice the cauliflower into chunky steaks – don’t discard the ends as these can be used for other recipes! Trim the central stem if it is too big.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl, using enough of each for however many steaks you have. Use a pastry brush to evenly coat all sides of the cauliflower, not forgetting the edges.
- In a griddle pan over a medium heat, brush a little oil and grill the steaks for 5-6 minutes on each side. You can do the same over a hot barbecue!
- To assemble your burgers, coat each side of your bun with a generous amount of the aioli, lay a cauliflower steak on top, followed by a slice of cheese, some tomato and a pinch of watercress.
You can brush these with butter and bake them in the oven for a browned top and really melted cheese!
*This recipe could easily be vegan by swapping the mayonnaise and cheese slices for your favourite vegan alternatives.
Recipe by www.thewatercresscompany.com