- 100g salted cooking spread
- 100g Cheddar, grated
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3 slices of Parma ham
- 2 tbsp parmesan, finely grated
- In a large bowl, beat the spread. Then beat in the cheese and add the flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper and mix. Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of cold water and mix together to form a smooth dough, adding a little extra water if needed. Shape into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees/Gas Mark 5. Divide the dough into 2, then roll each piece into a rectangle 15cm x 30cm. Brush one with a little beaten egg white and place the Parma ham slices on top in a single even layer. Brush again with egg white and place the second rectangle on top, roll lightly to seal.
- Cut into 20x15cm strips, twisting each one a few times before placing on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Brush the strips with egg white, sprinkle over the parmesan and then bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.