Recipe by Trewithen Dairy
TREWITHEN DAIRY’S APPLE PIE & CORNISH CLOTTED CREAM
- 500g plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 125g icing sugar
- 250g Trewithen Dairy Salted Butter, cold and cubed (plus extra to sauté the apples)
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- 1kg apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Trewithen Dairy Cornish Whole Milk, for glazing
- Trewithen Dairy Cornish Clotted Cream, to serve
- Mix the flour, sifted icing sugar and spices in a bowl.
- Add the orange zest and combine.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Be careful not to overwork the mixture or get it too warm.
- Add the orange juice to bring the mixture together into a soft dough, adding a little cold water if you need more liquid. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in greaseproof paper or a reuseable wrap and then chill for one hour.
- While the pastry chills, make the pie filling by melting a generous knob of butter in a shallow pan and sauté the sliced apples with brown sugar over a medium heat for around 10 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Layer the apples in the pie dish (around a pie funnel if using).
- Roll out the chilled pastry to about 1cm thick and lay over the pie dish. Trim the edge, allowing for a little shrinkage, and crimp the endge for a truly Cornish finish. If not using a pie funnel, make a small slit in the centre of the pie to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Mix the beaten egg with a splash of milk and brush over the top of the pie to glaze.
- Cook at 200˚C/Gas mark 6 for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and crisp.
- Serve in slices with generous helpings of Trewithen Dairy Clotted Cream.