- 700g assorted fish fillets such as whiting, hake, red mullet, fresh or defrosted
- 250g pack cooked seafood cocktail
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 average glasses Italian red wine
- 6 vine tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 ltr fish stock
- Salt and black pepper
- 12 slices Italian ciabatta
1 Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/Gas Mark 6. 2 Cut all the fish fillets into large chunks and season.
3 In a large pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add the onions, carrots, celery, cooking for 2 minutes. Add the parsley, garlic, chillies, bay leaves and thyme. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
4 Add the red wine and bring up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until the wine has reduced by half, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, fish and stock.
5 Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes before adding the seafood cocktail.
6 Drizzle the bread with the remaining olive oil and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
7 Lay the fish in the bottom of 4 bowls and ladle over the fish soup. Serve with the bread, to soak up all the lovely fish juices.
Recipe by Seafish