Recipe by Coombe Farm Organics
Spice up your curry repertoire with a new beef recipe, perfect for summertime cooking. Best enjoyed with friends and a glass of something refreshing in the garden.
- 900g/2lb organic diced beef
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 45ml/3tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded (if preferred) and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 30-60ml/2-4tbsp Madras curry paste or similar
- 200ml/7floz coconut milk
- 150ml/¼pint water
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- Fresh coconut shavings, to garnish, optional
- Heat 30ml/2tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, season the beef and brown the meat in batches for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a large heatproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan heat the remaining oil and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until soft and lightly brown.
- Transfer to a food processor or mini blender and process until smooth. Return to the casserole dish and add the remaining ingredients except the coriander and coconut shavings.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2-2½ hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the cinnamon sticks before serving.