Recipe by British Lion Eggs
This dish will be a hit with kids and adults alike! It makes a great breakfast, light lunch or cosy supper.
EGG IN A HOLE WITH TOMATO & FETA
- 1 large British Lion egg
- 1 thick slice of wholemeal bread
- 1 chopped tomato
- 25g cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 a red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 25g feta cheese, crumbled
- a squeeze of lemon
- a pinch of dried mint, optional
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Toast the bread on one side in the hot pan. Transfer to a clean board and use a round cutter to press out a circle of bread. (Tip: cut round a glass if you don’t have a cutter.)
- Return the bread to the pan toasted side up, then carefully crack an egg into the hole and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes or until the egg has set. Cover the pan with a lid or upturned plate if the egg isn’t quite cooked after this time – the steam it creates sets the egg on top.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the tomato, cucmber, pepper and feta together with the lemon and mint (if using), with a little balck pepper.
- Use a spatula to lift the egg-filled toast onto a plate with the circle of bread, and scatter over the feta mix. Serve straight away.