You can use any kind of veg in this dish! Carrots, sprouts, swede, squash, courgette, peas, cauliflower…
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
400ml chicken stock
300g crème fraiche
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp chopped thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
500g cooked turkey meat, sliced into bite size chunks
600g cooked veg
10 roast potatoes, sliced
50g cheddar cheese
Olive oil, drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Melt the butter in a deep-frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the onion is just soft.
- Add the mushrooms and continue stirring until the mushrooms are just cooked. Add the garlic and flour and carry on cooking for another minute before adding the milk and stock, a little at a time, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the crème fraiche, bay leaves and thyme and season well. Add the turkey and vegetables. Transfer to an oven proof dish.
- Lay over the sliced potatoes, sprinkle over the cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until hot and bubbling.
Recipe by justaddmushrooms.com
Try out leftover gyoza style dumplings for an alternative way of using up leftover Christmas turkey.