Make your Gløgg extract in advance then simply warm through with a bottle of red wine just before serving to your guests.
MAKES 2 x 250ml bottles
- 200ml blackcurrant juice
- 75ml lemon juice
- 20 cloves
- 10 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 x 5–6cm cinnamon sticks
- 200g caster sugar
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 x 250ml bottles
- Nylon sieve or muslin
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan with 300ml of water. Cover and bring to a boil, stirring to help the sugar dissolve.
- Simmer for 30 mins, then drain through a nylon sieve.
- Discard the spices and pour the liquid into sterilised bottles. Seal at once. Stored in a dark, cool place, this keeps for months.
MAKES 8 GLASSES
- 750ml bottle of red wine
- 250ml Gløgg Extract (see recipe)
- 150g blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 150g raisins
- Combine the wine, Gløgg Extract, almonds and raisins in a saucepan. Heat for 10 mins over a low heat, without boiling.
- Serve in glasses, with teaspoons for catching the raisins and almonds.
Both recipes from Scandinavian Christmas by Trine Hahnemann, published by Quadrille Publishing Limited