- 25g butter
- 250g pancetta, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sage leaves, finely shredded
- 1 medium Savoy cabbage, outer leaves removed then quartered
- 500ml chicken stock
1 Melt the butter in a heavy-based casserole style pan, one with a lid. Add the pancetta and fry, stirring now and then, until browned.
2 Turn the heat to low, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes (this helps render the fat in the pancetta down).
3 Add the bay leaf, sage and cabbage wedges. Pour in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring up to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
4 Check the seasoning before serving.
Recipe by Riverford