Recipe by Ching He Huang
SPICY SICHUAN STYLE AUBERGINE & TOFU
- 396g Cauldron Organic Tofu Block, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 knob of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 1.5-inch baton
- Small jug of filtered water
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chilli bean sauce
- 2 tbsp Tamari or low sodium light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black rice vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 2 small spring onions, washed, top tailed, sliced thinly on an angle
- Cooked Jasmine rice, to serve
- Take the Tofu out of the pack, drain away all the water. Take a clean tea towel or paper towel and press the tofu gently to remove any excess moisture. Slice the Tofu into 2cm cubes.
- Heat a wok over a medium-high heat until smoking, then pour in the oil. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 5 seconds.
- Add the aubergine pieces and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, keep adding splashes of water to help the aubergine soften. Continue to cook like this for another 4 minutes.
- Once the aubergines have softened, add 3 tablespoons of the chilli bean sauce, the soy sauce and stir well, then pour in the hot vegetable stock.
- Add the tofu in and stir-fry gently together for a further 1-2 minutes or until it is warmed and piping hot.
- Garnish with spring onions, and serve with Jasmine rice, eat immediately.