Recipe by South African Fruit
South African plums give a juicy fresh flavour to this satisfying, healthy supper.
You could also use chicken or turkey stir-fry strips instead of pork.
SOUTH AFRICAN PLUM & PORK STIR-FRY
- 6 South African plums
- 2 nests dried fine egg noodles
- Juice of 1 small orange
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g lean pork loin steaks, cut into strips
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into matchstick strips
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Halve, pit and slice the plums. Set aside. Put the noodles into a heatproof bowl, then cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Mix together the orange juice, cornflour, sweet chili sauce and hoisin sauce.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the pork strips and stir fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, until browned. Add the spring onions, carrot and pepper along with the garlic and ginger. Stir fry for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the plums and stir fry for 2 more minutes. Drain the noodles and add them to the wok or frying pan. Give the orange juice mixture a good stir, then add it to the pan, stirring and tossing together for a few seconds until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
- Share between 4 warmed bowls or plates and serve at once.