Recipe by Wild and Game
- 500g Wild and Game game mix
- 150ml red wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 1½ tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
- 80g bacon lardons
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pack roll-out puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C/Gas Mark 2.
- Toss the meat in the flour.
- Heat a couple of glugs of olive oil in a pan and fry the onion until soft.
- Add the bacon and cook for a few minutes until lightly cooked.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- dd the meat and cook until browned. Towards the end, add the garlic for and cook for a minute before moving on to the next step.
- Add the wine and stir, bubbling for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaf and herbs. Heat until bubbling.
- Place a lid on the pan and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Take the lid off part way through but keep checking to ensure it doesn’t reduce too much. Add water if necessary.
- Remove from the oven and turn the heat up to 220˚C/Gas Mark 7.
- Place the game stew in a pie dish. Top with the pastry and brush with beaten egg.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.
For another tasty game recipe, click here