Marmalade doesn’t just belong on toast. This marmalade-topped tart is a great way to make use of your home-made preserves, and it tastes every delicious bit as nutty and zesty as it looks.
- For the pastry
- 35g caster sugar
- 60g salted butter softened
- 120g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- For the frangipane filling
- 110g salted butter softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 orange finely grated zest of half an orange
- 100g sugar almonds
- 20g salted almonds roughly chopped
- 20g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- For the topping
- 1 orange peeled and cut into slices
- 1 portion flaked almonds to decorate
- 3 tbsp home-made marmalade to glaze
- Cream together the sugar and butter in a bowl until combined. Sift in the flour and mix until incorporated. Add the egg yolk and stir through, then bring the dough together with your hands, adding a splash of water if the mixture is a little dry and isn’t coming together.
- Tip the dough out onto a worktop, knead a little until smooth, then wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Once chilled, remove the cling film from the dough and gently knead until slightly softened, then shape into a ball and squash down on an unfloured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll it out, adding a little flour as needed to stop it sticking, until you have a circle about 30cm wide. Use your pin to transfer the pastry and lay it over your tart tin. Press evenly into the base and sides, folding the excess pastry back over the sides of your tin. Cover with cling film and return to the fridge for half an hour.
- Heat your oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Top the base of your pastry with baking parchment and baking beans. Place the tart tin on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the parchment and beans, and bake for a further 5 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- While baking the pastry case, make the frangipane filling. Cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla bean paste and orange zest. Add the almonds and flour and mix in, then beat in the egg until smooth.
- Turn down the oven to 170°C/Gas 3½. Fill the cooled pastry case with the frangipane mix and level the top. Top the tart with the orange slices and flaked almonds and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown and slightly springy to the touch. Remove from the oven, then use a sharp knife to trim off the excess overhanging pastry.
- Gently warm the marmalade in a pan or microwave until just melted, then brush over the top of the tart as a glaze. Serve while still warm, topped with crème fraiche.
Recipe by www.lakeland.co.uk