From editor to reader: make the most of the barbecue season with these halloumi and grilled apricot skewers. They’re a great alternative to the typical barbecue fare…
MAKES 4 SKEWERS
For the tomato relish
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium chilli, seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2cm piece of ginger, grated
- Oil for frying
- 500g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g brown sugar
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For the skewers
- 6 firm apricots
- 250g halloumi
- Rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground pepper
You will need
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- Finely slice the onion and chilli and place in a large pan along with the garlic, ginger and a dash of oil. Fry gently over a medium heat for 5-6 mins until the onions have softened. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and red wine vinegar and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Allow the relish to gently simmer for 15-20 mins until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce has thickened to a jam-like consistency. Set the relish aside to cool and thicken further whilst you make the skewers.
- Cut the apricots in half and remove the stone, then chop the halloumi into 12 large chunks. Skewer 3 pieces of halloumi and 3 halves of apricot on each skewer, alternating between the ingredients.
- Brush the skewers with a little oil and season with a pinch of pepper. Heat either a griddle pan or barbecue until hot before placing on the skewers. Lightly char on each side for approximately 3-4 mins, ensuring the skewers do not burn.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately alongside the tomato relish and a leafy green salad.