- 1 tbsp oil for frying e.g. sunflower
- 1 leek, finely sliced (or use an onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.2 litres veg stock
- 2 large cobs sweetcorn, kernels cut off
- 1 lime
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 50g Cheddar or Double Gloucester, grated
- 1 tsp paprika or ground cumin
- Small handful fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper
1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the leek for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
2 Add the sweet potato, pepper, chilli, paprika, thyme, bay leaf and stir for 1 minute.
3 Pour in the stock. Season. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
4 Add the sweetcorn and simmer for 5 more minutes, or until the potato and corn are tender.
5 Blitz in a food processor, then return to the pan and reheat gently if necessary. Add a good squeeze of lime juice and check the seasoning.
6 While the chowder is simmering, heat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
7 Cut the tortillas into quarters and lay on a baking sheet. Sprinkle over the cheese, a little sea salt and the paprika or cumin.
8 Bake for 6-8 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn, until crispy and golden.
9 Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly, then serve with the chowder, sprinkled with chives.
Recipe by Riverford