Recipe by Opies
Spiced pickled onions have been added to this traditional recipe for extra flavour and texture.
STEAK, RED WINE & PICKLED ONION PIE
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, diced
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- salt and pepper, to season
- 750g casserole beef or braising steak, diced
- 75cl bottle red wine
- 1x 360g jar Opies Pickled Onions with Bird’s Eye Chilli, drained
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- a sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg yolk, for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Heat the oil in a large casserole pan and fry the bacon until browned and crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Add the flour to a bowl, season well with salt and pepper, then toss the steak into the mixture using your hands until well coated. Shake off any excess flour then add to the casserole pan and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned all over.
- Now add the wine, pickled onions, redcurrant jelly, streaky bacon and rosemary. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down, cover and simmer for 1 hour on a low heat.
- Place the steak mixture into a pie dish then unravel the pastry sheet and place on top, ensuring the overlapped edges are tucked in. Brush pastry lid with egg yolk, then bake for 20 minutes until golden and puffed.
- Serve with buttery mash and buttered peas.
Where to Buy: Opies Pickled Onions with Birds Eye Chilli are available from Tesco, Ocado and independent retailers from £2.00.