Malcolm shares the recipe to one of his favourite dishes to cook at The Bear & Blacksmith…
- 12 lamb noisettes
- 10 new potatoes, washed
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Handful of fresh rosemary
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots
- 500ml lamb stock
- 225ml red wine
- 1 head spring greens
- 150ml double cream
- Glug of olive oil
To make the purée
- Roast the butternut squash in the oven for about 30-40mins at 180C/gas 4 with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once soft, place in a blender with a knob of butter and the double cream, blitz until smooth.
To make the jus
- Sweat the shallots and one clove of garlic in a pan until soft. Add the lamb stock, reduce by half, then add the red wine and reduce again by half.
- Season to taste and leave to simmer.
To cook the lamb, potatoes and greens
- Put the noisettes in a hot pan and seal on both sides, then place the meat in the oven at 180C/gas 4 for 12mins.
- Boil the new potatoes until just soft, then drain.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan, then add the potatoes, a clove of garlic and rosemary. Season with sea salt and sauté until just cloloured.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add a small amount of butter. Shred the spring greens, then place in water and boil for about 6 mins.
Strike a tbsp of the purée on each plate, add the potatoes and greens, place the lamb on top, and spoon over the jus. Enjoy!
Extracted from The Taste of the West Cookbook 2019, photograph by Guy Harrop