Recipe by www.thomasinamiers.com
350g Jersey Royal New Potatoes, very finely sliced on a mandolin, by hand, or with a food processor attachment
300g full fat crème fraiché
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
leaves from 4 sprigs thyme, plus extra to serve
Finely grated zest 1/2 lemon
50g Parmesan or Gran Padano, finely grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
320g all-butter puff pastry sheet, chilled
Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
1 egg, beaten
50g goat’s Gouda, other hard goat’s or ewe’s cheese
1. Heat the oven to 190c/ fan 170c /Gas Mark 5.
2. In a bowl, mix the crème fraiche, mustard, thyme leaves, lemon zest, parmesan and garlic and season generously. Set aside.
3. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the Jersey Royal New Potatoes and simmer for two minutes. Drain and empty out on a tray lined with kitchen paper to soak up the excess water.
4. Unravel the puff pastry onto a greased baking sheet and score a 2 cm border along the inside of the pastry.
5. Spread the crème fraiche evenly inside the border then lay the Jersey Royal New Potatoes on top so they overlap slightly. Brush the Jersey Royal New Potatoes with the olive oil, season generously and brush the pastry border with the beaten egg.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until golden, then remove from the oven and grate over the goat’s cheese.
7. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese, sprinkle with more thyme leaves and serve with a crisp green salad.
COOKS TIPS – If you can find pink leaves and summery herbs like chervil, mint and basil in the salad it will look lovely. If pink leaves aren’t available use finely sliced pink radish or v finely diced red onion.