· 2 tbsp vegetable oil
· 2 large shallots, peeled and finely diced
· 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
· 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
· 2 tsp ground cumin
· 2 tsp turmeric
· 2 tsp ground coriander
· 2 tsp garam masala
· Seeds from 4 green cardamom pods
· 400ml tin coconut milk
· 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
· 1 tsp soft light brown sugar
· 600g skinless cod loin (or any other firm white fish fillets), cut into large chunks
· 250g frozen peas
· Juice of 1-2 limes
· A handful of chopped coriander
· Steamed coconut basmati rice
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan and fry the shallots over a low heat stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until softened and beginning to colour. Stir in the chillies, garlic, ginger, ground spices and cardamom seeds and cook on a low heat for a further 3 minutes.
2. Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, brown sugar and 100ml of water or vegetable stock and season with some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer half covered for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the cod and continue to simmer half covered, stirring occasionally, taking care not to break up the fish pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the peas and cook for a further 4 minutes.
4. Season to taste, stir in the lime juice and a little more brown sugar if necessary, scatter over the chopped coriander and serve with the coconut rice.
Tip: Naan bread also goes well with this dish.