A light, easy-to-make, dairy-free cake. Grated parsnips add a wonderful moistness and lime zest and coconut an unusual, delicate freshness. Let cool before slicing.
- 2 large eggs
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 75ml sunflower oil, plus a little extra for greasing
- 250g parsnips, peeled and grated
- 100g self-raising flour
- 3 balls stem ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 50g dessicated coconut
- 75g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lime
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 35 min
- Preheat oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Grease an 18cm round cake tin with a little oil on a piece of kitchen paper.
- Line it with baking parchment. Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat until thick and creamy (a hand held mixer really helps).
- Gradually whisk in the oil. Fold in the rest of the ingredients. Transfer the mixture to the tin and level it gently with your wooden spoon.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
Recipe from www.riverford.co.uk