Plain flour, for dusting
375g all-butter puff pastry
600g cherry tomatoes
2-3 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
A small handful of fresh thyme leaves
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
23cm ovenproof non-stick frying pan or shallow fixed-base cake tin
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Cut out a 26cm circle, place on a baking sheet and chill for at least 30 mins.
- Toss the tomatoes in a bowl with the garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, thyme and some salt and pepper and set them aside for a minimum of 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7 and put a baking sheet in to heat up. Spread the marinated tomatoes over the base of your frying pan or cake tin in an even layer – they should be tightly packed.
- Drape the pastry circle over the top, tucking it in and around the sides. Place in the oven on the hot baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins or until the pastry is puffy, golden and crisp. Remove and set aside for no more than 3-4 mins.
- Place a warmed serving plate on top of the pastry and carefully invert, then give the whole thing a firm tap or shake and remove the pan. Everything should come away cleanly and it will be all steamy and hot. Leave to cool for 30 mins, then cut into wedges.